Myositis, Inclusion Body
(Inclusion Body Myositis; Myopathy, Inclusion Body, Sporadic)
Progressive myopathies characterized by the presence of inclusion bodies
on muscle biopsy
. Sporadic and hereditary forms have been described. The sporadic form is an acquired, adult
-onset inflammatory vacuolar myopathy affecting proximal and distal muscles
. Familial forms usually begin in childhood and lack inflammatory changes. Both forms feature intracytoplasmic and intranuclear inclusions in muscle tissue. (Adams et al., Principles of neurology
, 6th ed, pp1409-10)
Diagnosis and therapies
Hereditary inclusion body myopathy, Inclusion body myositis, History of IBM magnetic disk drives, IBM System x, IBM 3101, IBM BASIC, IBM 7 track, IBM 3624, IBM Tivoli Storage Productivity Center, IBM Administrative Terminal System
- Reported cases - Summary of cases reported on this disease.
- Related terms - Look for sites, images, videos, news and articles about related terms.
- SearchMedica - Professional Medical Search.
- WHO - World Health Organization.
- PubMed - A service of the National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health.
- MEDLINE - Literature from the National Library of Medicine.
- MeSH - Medical Subject Headings.
- DeCS - Health Sciences Descriptors.
Comments on "Myositis, Inclusion Body"
- My brother has been diagnosed with IBM. His symptoms came on gradually for about ten years....at present, he has diffuculty walking, getting up out of chairs, general all over weakness. Visual muscle loss as well in arms and legs. I feel so bad for hi... (+)