Encephalopathy, Bovine Spongiform
(Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy; Mad Cow Disease; Spongiform Encephalopathy, Bovine)
A transmissible spongiform encephalopathy of cattle
associated with abnormal prion proteins
in the brain
. Affected animals
develop excitability and salivation
followed by ataxia
. This disorder has been associated with consumption of scrapie
infected ruminant derived protein. This condition may be transmitted to humans
, where it is referred to as variant or new variant creutzfeldt-jakob syndrome
. (Vet Rec 1998 Jul 25;143(41):101-5)
Disease (Bovine Spongiform
found in bovine spongiform
B115 - BOVINE SPONGIFORM
Where is bovine spongiform
Diagnosis and therapies
Bovine spongiform encephalopathy, Feline spongiform encephalopathy, Feed ban, Immunohistochemistry test, Mark Purdey, Agricultural policy, Transmissible spongiform encephalopathy, British Cattle Movement Service, List of BSE SENSEX companies, BSE DCI
- Reported cases - Summary of cases reported on this disease.
- Related terms - Look for sites, images, videos, news and articles about related terms.
- SearchMedica - Professional Medical Search.
- WHO - World Health Organization.
- PubMed - A service of the National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health.
- MEDLINE - Literature from the National Library of Medicine.
- MeSH - Medical Subject Headings.
- DeCS - Health Sciences Descriptors.