(Rigidity, Decerebrate; Decerebrate Posturing; Decorticate Rigidity; Decorticate State; Rigidity, Decorticate)
A condition characterized by abnormal posturing of the limbs that is associated with injury to the brainstem. This may occur as a clinical manifestation or induced experimentally in animals
. The extensor reflexes are exaggerated leading to rigid extension of the limbs accompanied by hyperreflexia and opisthotonus. This condition is usually caused by lesions which occur in the region of the brainstem that lies between the red nuclei and the vestibular nuclei
. In contrast, decorticate rigidity is characterized by flexion of the elbows and wrists with extension of the legs and feet. The causative lesion for this condition is located above the red nuclei and usually consists of diffuse cerebral damage. (From Adams et al., Principles of neurology
, 6th ed, p358)
Persistent Vegetative State:
state for the last 30 s.
(B) Symmetric decerebrate
decerebrate state and .
Called also decerebrate
Historical Popularity Charts [graphical overview of Decerebrate State
Diagnosis and therapies
Decerebration, ISM, ISM Racing, Non-Manufacturing ISM Report on Business, ISMS, Isménia Júnior, Universal Darwinism, Väike-Õismäe, Õismäe, Nizar
- Reported cases - Summary of cases reported on this disease.
- Related terms - Look for sites, images, videos, news and articles about related terms.
- SearchMedica - Professional Medical Search.
- WHO - World Health Organization.
- PubMed - A service of the National Library of Medicine and National Institutes of Health.
- MEDLINE - Literature from the National Library of Medicine.
- MeSH - Medical Subject Headings.
- DeCS - Health Sciences Descriptors.
Leave a message or picture about "Decerebrate State" or enter the forum