http://lookfordiagnosis.com
English
Spanish
Italian
Portuguese
French
Swedish

FAQ - carbon monoxide poisoning
(Powered by Yahoo! Answers)

is it possible to die from carbon monoxide poisoning if you're outdoor in an airtight car?


suppose you blocked all the vents etc. in your car but you weren't in an airtight room such as a garage. would it still be possible to die if you were outside? (carbon monoxide being fed through a tube through your window).
----------

  (+ info)

Can a person die instantly or within just a few moments from carbon monoxide poisoning?


A couple died here in Ohio last week. It looks as though they were about to engage in an activity that was cut off by their deaths. So my head is spinning with many questions. Help if you can.
----------

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless and causes a person to go into paralysis, which leads to their heart ceasing to beat, and eventually, death. This can happen within 5 minutes. My mom actually had two friends die of this in high school - they were sitting in the garage, making out, and they left the car on so the heater would run. The garage filled up with carbon monoxide gas and they both went into shock and then died. It is beneficial for every person to get a carbon monoxide monitor in their home, as that is the only way to be aware if the gas is leaking somewhere!  (+ info)

How long does it take to get carbon monoxide poisoning?


One inhale? 10 mins? 30 mins? more? less?
and how would it feel if you figure out? like would you start suffocating?
because there was a car with so much smoke coming out the exhaust, and my friend said it was CO and i was like holy shit cuz we were exposed for a couple of mins
----------

well if your still alive and breathing well than your okay  (+ info)

A friend of mine recently died of carbon monoxide poisoning. Was it painful?


He was working in the garage. He had started the truck and the garage door closed. He died from carbon monoxide poisoning. What I want to know is, was it painful? I've searched the net, but no one seems to agree.
----------

You don't even notice it is happening even as the symptoms are increasing. I was nearly overcome by carbon monoxide poisoning and was unaware of it. I worked in a steel mill. I had my CO detector on and it was in working order. The level of CO rose to over 2000ppm. I was on the upper level of the Blast Furnace. I immediately got on the elevator and exited the area. I stumbled and reeled as I approached the bus. My co-workers thought I looked funny all uncoordinated. When I entered the bus, they quickly realized I was disorientated and mumbling and talking nearly incoherently. Our supervisor got extremely irritated at them for their harassment of me on the way to infirmary. Absolutely nothing seemed amiss. Even during recovery, I didn't feel I had been nearly overcome. I did end up with a terrible headache later. If my experience is any indication of what happens in other CO poisonings, your boyfriend didn't have a painful death. He didn't even realize he was slipping into unconsciousness. He didn't even recognize he was becoming uncoordinated and losing his ability to function mentally or physically. Don't fret, he felt no pain, no anxiety no sense of danger. it is no more painful than falling asleep.  (+ info)

How long would it take to die from carbon monoxide poisoning from running your car in a closed garage?


Oh, and by the way, I am just asking. Just curious. I had heard about people committing suicide this way and I was just wondering approximately how long it takes.
----------

I don't know, but it would involve a lot of variables.

Such as:
- The ratio of gas/air it takes to kill someone (no idea)
- How much Carbon Monoxide the particular car produces per minute
- The size of the garage
- How air-tight the garage is

My guess would be somewhere from 1 to 3 hours for an average situation  (+ info)

How many deaths related to carbon monoxide poisoning are there in the uk annually?


The link gives number of deathe for a few years leadin up to 2007.
2009
Published this week, is the number of deaths caused by carbon monoxide poisoning linked to domestic appliances in Britain, which have fallen from 24 deaths to 9, says UK gas safety charity the Corgi Trust in its 12th annual report published on Monday (November 16).
The CO incident report confirms nine deaths were reported from April 1, 2007 to June 30, 2008. In this same period, there were 67 non-fatal casualties in 33 incidents.
However compared to 06/07, there has been an increase in incidents, fatalities and casualties. It is unclear whether this is due to under reported numbers in the last couple of years.

I do not know how the figutes are gathered as the information contradicts the number for 2007 except the second set of figures are issued by the gas companies so may not be true national figures.  (+ info)

what are symtoms of lower carbon monoxide poisoning?


what if any are safe levels. i think I'm being poisoned in my restaurant with my propanr fryers and grill.
----------

Low levels of carbon monoxide poisoning can be confused with flu symptoms, food poisoning or other illnesses and can have a long term health risk if left unattended. Some of the symptoms are the following.

Shortness of breath
Mild nausea
Mild headaches
Moderate levels of CO exposure can cause death if the following symptoms persist for a long measure of time.

Headaches
Dizziness
Nausea
Light-headedness
High levels of CO can be fatal causing death within minutes.  (+ info)

How many people die a year due to Carbon monoxide poisoning?


Accidental and/or suicidal, please.
----------

Don't know about worldwide but in the U.S. according to the CDC: "Each year, more than 500 Americans die from unintentional CO poisoning, and more than 2,000 commit suicide by intentionally poisoning themselves."

Source listed below:  (+ info)

How long does it take to die from carbon monoxide poisoning in your car?


  (+ info)

Will the danger of carbon monoxide poisoning go away if you get away from it?


What I mean is that I've been exposed to CO for awhile now and for the last week I thought I had the flu.Respiratory problems, fatigue, chest pains, ect but now I'm wondering if this could all still get worse even when away from the CO?
----------

As someone who has gone through CO poisoning, I can tell you that the symptoms should go away if you remove yourself from the source. It may take awhile, and depending on the level of CO in your blood, you may need oxygen to counteract the problem and tylenol or the like to deal with the headache. From your other post, it appears you suspect your furnace...Get a CO Detector to be safe. Good luck!  (+ info)

1  2  3  4  5  

Leave a message or picture about "carbon monoxide poisoning" or enter the forum: