FAQ - Shock, Septic
(Powered by Yahoo! Answers)

When someone dies of septic shock, abcess on liver ruptured, do they suffer, alot of pain, or quick and quiet?


I was told she died from the abcess on her liver rupturing, but she looked as though she was sleeping? I don't understand.
----------

I work in an ICU an sadly see people pass from septic shock on a semi-regular basis.

I can honestly say that I have yet to see an ugly death with someone suffering. The body just shuts down. The person themselves is usually unconscious and unaware of it all. During the dying process people are not awake the whole time, they gradually fade away. It usually a calm and peaceful event. Once infection spreads through a persons body, every system is affected and the person will not be conscious.  (+ info)

what is pnuemonia and septic shock?


pnuemonia and becoming septic stage before septic shock due to the pnuemonia what does this endertail?
----------

pneumonia is an infection of the lung parenchemal. its usual caused by bacteria. septic shock is when an infection has spread throught the body, dropping the blood pressure, increases the pulse, temp and resp rate. pneumonia can lead to septic shock which can lead to death.  (+ info)

how long does it take for someone to get over septic shock and are there any longterm effects?


septic shock can be develop anytime..it can cause death to any patient thats the worse effect of septic shock.  (+ info)

Septic Shock: Can't Find the Guy Who asked about it.?


Okay, so who else has survived Septic Shock? While it is often categorized as a "condition" in the children and elderly -- it is often also the result of attempts to drain a massive abscess. It explodes and a person goes into Septic Shock. Survival rate, from what I read is about 50%, upon this sudden assault on the body. I wouldn't choose this way to "go out." If you are diagnosed with a massive, infectious mass and the hospital plans to drain it -- make damn sure they have their tools in place: IV lines running that don't leak, warm blankets for chills, etc. Better yet, get a PICC line in place so they can quickly infuse you with antibacterial stuff before your organs start to fail. It's a frightening, cruel way to die and can be prevented more than it actually is.
----------

what was the purpose of this very discriptive gross non-question?  (+ info)

WHO CAN HELP ME TO FIND OUT MORE ABOUT SEPTIC SHOCK SYNDROME MY PASSED AWAY BECAUSE OF THAT I NEED TO KNOW?


MORE ABOUT SEPTIC SHOCK SYNDROME AND KIDNEY FAILURE
----------

Shock is a metabolic state wherein the cells and tissues of the body cannot get adequate oxygen. Shock can have many causes, including massive and overwhelming infection - sepsis.

Sepsis results when an infection overwhelms the body and triggers a very complex immune response. Immune mediators cause vasodilation and hypotension (low blood pressure), which makes it very difficult for the body's circulatory system to deliver adequate oxygen to the cells. Once this process begins, it takes very aggressive treatment to reverse it, and depending upon a person's overall general health, it may be impossible to reverse.

Septic shock is treated with IV fluids, antibiotics, and medications to help maintain adequate blood pressure. However, despite aggressive treatment, inadequate oxygenation of the organs can cause damage. Once organ systems begin to fail, this places additional stress on the body and increases the likelihood that other organ systems will fail.

The kidneys are especially vulnerable to damage from the severe and prolonged hypotension that accompanies septic shock. Once damaged, the body is unable to get rid of waste products, which causes further damage to other organs - this is called multi-organ system failure and has a very poor prognosis (most people do not survive).  (+ info)

how long does someone stay in septic shock before they recover?


I take care of alot of septic shock patients. It is really variable how long it takes for them to fully recover, if in fact they are able to fully recover. It depends on how out of control the infection gets prior to treatment. Sepsis can be caused by an infection anywhere in the body that has gotten so out of control that it causes multi-system organ failure. I took care of a patient who went in to septic shock from an abscessed tooth. Fair warning--treat all infections in your body regardless of how small they may seem.
Back to the question, the earlier the treatment for the underlying infection, the shorter the recovery. Once systems start shutting down, the course is much more difficult. Kidneys are often effected requiring dialysis. The pancreas is often effected requiring use of insulin to control blood sugar. The cardiovascular system is also often effected requiring special IV drips to control dangerously low blood pressure. And the respiratory system is effected requiring support ranging from nasal prongs to Bi pap up to use of a ventilator. So as you can see, if multiple systems of the body are drastically effected, the recovery may require months in the ICU followed by recovery time on the floor. Also, after spending months in the ICU you very well risk requiring therapy to gain strength back after being on bedrest for so long.
Hope this helps.  (+ info)

question about septic shock?


if someone has septic shock, how long does it take before you die, if left untreated?
----------

Hours at the most. It has a very high death rate. Usually because your blood pressure drops so low, you will become unconscious before your organs go into total failure. It's a hideous way to die.

Here's more info:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/000668.htm  (+ info)

What is septic shock?


My friends mom just called me because she's in the hospital after they went to take care of her recent appendicitis (the surgery scar which still has stitches) and they said it looked like it was getting infected. They mentioned something about septic shock so I'm just curious what it is.
----------

"Septic shock" is another term for blood poisoning. Or infection that has gotten into your blood stream.  (+ info)

what is septic shock?


well my friend's grampa is dying from septic shock, it's really sad, and I wanted to know what it was :(
----------

Septic shock is a serious condition that occurs when an overwhelming infection leads to low blood pressure and low blood flow. The brain, heart, kidneys, and liver may not work properly or may fail.

Talk with your doctor about the best treatment plan for you.

Treatment options include the following:
Supportive Measures for Shock
If you have septic shock, you will be admitted to the intensive care unit where you will be given intravenous fluids, drugs to increase blood flow, and extra oxygen. If your lungs fail, you may be put on a mechanical ventilator to help you breathe. Other therapies or supportive measures may be used.

Medications
Once the cause of the infection is identified, you will be given high doses of one or more antibiotics.

Surgery
Surgery may be performed to remove any dead tissue.


Prevention
Most cases of septic shock cannot be prevented, but treating bacterial and other infections promptly may help.



To know much more adout diabetes visit my free website
http://www.reddiabetes.com  (+ info)

does anyone know what septic shock is and what causes it.?


A FRIEND DIED FROM IT.
----------

Septic shock is caused when a person has an infection that becomes spread through the entire body and overwhelms the body's defenses. Bacteria generally produce toxins as waste products, and because the numbers of them present in the body are so great, the body is unable to remove enough toxin to work. Or the bacteria interfere with the function of the vital organs, causing them to fail. If enough systems fail, the person dies. Septic shock can be caused by any number of infectious diseases, there is not any one specific bacteria that causes it. The bacteria doesn't even have to be antibiotic resistant, just advanced enough to overwhelm the body.  (+ info)

1  2  3  4  5  

Leave a message or picture about "Shock, Septic" or enter the forum: